Friday, July 27, 2018

1Corinthians 16:5-12 comments: Macedonia, Timothy, and Apollos


    16:5 ¶  Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia. 6  And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go. 7  For I will not see you now by the way; but I trust to tarry a while with you, if the Lord permit. 8  But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost. 9  For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries.

Macedonia was the country in northern Greece from whence Alexander the Great came to rule the western and near eastern world hundreds of years before this time. It is in a slightly different location than the Republic of Macedonia today which would be just north of ancient Macedonia.

Paul notes that he has an opportunity to spread and confirm the gospel in Ephesus, which would be in today’s country of Turkey. He notes that there are many people against him there but he plans on staying until Pentecost.

    16:10 ¶  Now if Timotheus come, see that he may be with you without fear: for he worketh the work of the Lord, as I also do. 11  Let no man therefore despise him: but conduct him forth in peace, that he may come unto me: for I look for him with the brethren. 12  As touching our brother Apollos, I greatly desired him to come unto you with the brethren: but his will was not at all to come at this time; but he will come when he shall have convenient time.

Timotheus, or the diminutive and more personal name of Timothy, was a solid helper of Paul.

Acts 16:1 ¶  Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:

He was taught the faith and converted through the efforts of his mother and grandmother, underscoring the importance of faithful women in the early church. Would it be that parents and grandparents today were able to pass on their faith to their offspring rather than driving them away with paranoia and fear of the world.

2Timothy 1:5  When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.

Timothy was sent by Paul to do the work of an evangelist, straightening out doctrine and confirming the faith of the churches.

2Timothy 4:5  But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

1Corinthians 4:17  For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

Apollos, another important helper of Paul, was originally from Alexandria in Egypt.

Acts 18:24 ¶  And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. 25  This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. 26  And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly. 27  And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace: 28  For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

    19:1 ¶  And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth…

No comments: