Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mark 15:33-41 comments: quoting Psalm 22 from the agony of the Cross


33 ¶  And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

 

This is noon, our time. Here is a physical sign for the Jews and the Romans.

 

Amos 8:9  And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:

 

Part of Jeremiah 15:9 says….her sun is gone down while it was yet day:

 

See how this links with His Second Advent;

 

Joel 2:1 ¶  Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;

2  A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.

 

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

 

34  And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

 

This is 3pm our time. He is quoting Psalm 22 for you to see.

 

Psalm 22:1  To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

 

Read the rest of the Psalm and notice those of us who are born again through Christ.

 

Psalm 22:30  A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

 

We deserve to be forsaken by our God. If we had not received what Christ did for us on the cross, we would be doomed to Hell. At that point, God the Father turned his back on what was a worm on the cross. This is what Jesus Christ did for us. This makes me more ashamed when I am led apart by my own lusts and sin.

 

God the Father turned His back on God the Son and the Son could not even have the sun on His face in His desperation. The darkness is a sign of God’s utter rejection of sin.

 

2Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

 

35  And some of them that stood by, when they heard it, said, Behold, he calleth Elias.

36  And one ran and filled a spunge full of vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink, saying, Let alone; let us see whether Elias will come to take him down.

 

Psalm 69:21  They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

 

The Jews were looking for Elijah to come back.

 

Malachi 4:5  Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: 6  And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

 

But they didn’t know that a type of Elijah had already come but he wasn’t received.

 

Matthew 11:12  And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. 13  For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. 14  And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come. 15  He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

 

37  And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.

 

John 10:18  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

 

38  And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.

 

The Holy of Holies is open to all of us now. It was not torn from bottom to top by a man but by God from top to bottom. This is a religious sign for the Jews. Both nature and the temple have revealed Him.

 

39  And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.

 

This person was saved at this point. The acknowledgement, responding to what he hears, understanding that Jesus is God in the flesh, is what is necessary for salvation.

 

40  There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome; 41  (Who also, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him;) and many other women which came up with him unto Jerusalem.

 
Women played a prominent role in Jesus’ earthly ministry but are not given a command to lead. They are not responsible for what the apostles are given. This does not imply inferiority. There are several Mary’s other than His human mother.

No comments: