Thursday, July 28, 2022

Psalms, chapter 17, comments: David's prayers for deliverance




 Psalm 17:1 ¶  «A Prayer of David.» Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. 2  Let my sentence come forth from thy

presence; let thine eyes behold the things that are equal. 3  Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress. 4  Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer. 5  Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. 6  I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. 7  Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.

 

David’s reference to feigned lips signifies deceitful speech. See the context of the prayer he makes as the speech he swears to God is genuine. David is asking for a fair and equal judgment from God. He asserts that God can test his intentions and will find nothing that links David with wicked men. He is determined to be honest and true in his speech.

 

God’s word has kept him from the paths of the destroyer. This reference is to, according to Strong’s dictionary and the cross-references for how the Hebrew is translated elsewhere, a violent man, a robber, and a murderer. In David’s context this is a reference to the wicked men he opposes.

 

Note the similarity between verse 5 and other verses in the Psalms;

 

Psalm 18:36  Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.

 

Psalm 119:116 ¶  Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope. 117  Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually…133 ¶  Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me

 

Psalm 121:3  He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber…7  The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

 

See David’s confidence in verse 6 and compare these verses;

 

Psalm 55:16 ¶  As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.

 

Psalm 66:19  But verily God hath heard me; he hath attended to the voice of my prayer. 20  Blessed be God, which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me.

 

Psalm 116:2  Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

 

David’s confidence in God is apparent throughout this passage and throughout Psalms. Clearly, in spite of his pride and his sin nature David had complete trust in God’s providence. Also, any study of saved and salvation throughout the Bible shows that it, almost all of the time, refers to a temporal deliverance rather than talking about eternity.

 

Prophetically speaking, I was struck by the way this prayer would be valuable in the Tribulation to come, the time of Jacob’s trouble, when the Beast of Revelation, popularly, but not Biblically, called the Antichrist.

 

When the whole world is lined up against those who follow Christ and obey His commands there will be no place to hide, no job to be had, no currency to be exchanged for the necessities of life  as we all know because the Christian will not take the Beast’s mark, if indeed that is to happen before the translation of the Church, popularly but not Biblically call The Rapture.

 

Would you hold to your faith if you had to be registered as a Christian by Law but were threatened with beheading if you did not take the mark? What about your children or grandchildren? Would you take the mark to save them? Remember this prayer.

 

For us now, this is a great meditation that speaks to our hearts as we struggle in a growingly insane world. And it continues…

 

Psalms 17:8 ¶  Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, 9  From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about. 10  They are inclosed in their own fat: with their mouth they speak proudly. 11  They have now compassed us in our steps: they have set their eyes bowing down to the earth; 12  Like as a lion that is greedy of his prey, and as it were a young lion lurking in secret places. 13  Arise, O LORD, disappoint him, cast him down: deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword: 14  From men which are thy hand, O LORD, from men of the world, which have their portion in this life, and whose belly thou fillest with thy hid treasure: they are full of children, and leave the rest of their substance to their babes. 15  As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

 

As David continues his prayer he uses a phrase, the apple of the eye. This phrase refers to one of whom someone is extremely fond and proud. This phrase is used in different contexts in slightly different forms.

 

Deuteronomy 32:10  He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye.

 

Proverbs 7:2  Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.

 

Zechariah 2:8  For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye.

 

The shadow of thy wings is another interesting phrase. Notice its usage three more times in the Psalms.

 

Psalm 36:7  How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

 

Psalm 57:1  «To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David, when he fled from Saul in the cave.» Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.

 

Psalm 63:7  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

 

Psalm 91:4  He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

 

This metaphor has the meaning of protection. It is not a literal statement that God has wings like a feathered bird.  Let’s look at other examples.

 

Matthew 23:37  O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

 

Exodus 19:4  Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles’ wings, and brought you unto myself.

 

Revelation 12:14  And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

 

David continues to ask for protection from wicked people who oppress him and from deadly enemies who surround him. This is the prayer of someone who is much put upon but trusting in God, his protector.

 

What is the meaning of they are inclosed in their own fat? Throughout most of history starvation was an ever-present danger for humanity everywhere. People were the victims of frequent famines and dearth. So, to be fat was to show that you were prosperous and did not lack in food. It was a sign of success and importance. It is linked in verse 10 with pride. The rich viewed their fat as a protection against starvation and a sign of prosperity.

 

Psalm 73:7  Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.

 

Prosperity can dull the senses when it comes to God and make that one’s source of deliverance rather than our Creator.

 

Isaiah 6:10  Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

 

It didn’t work for Job did it.

 

See how in verses 11 and 12 David likens the wicked to a lion tracking its prey and crouching to the earth to spring on the hapless victim.

 

Verses 13 and 14 are troubling in that David says literally here that the wicked are God’s sword and His hand. Many commentators object to this interpretation but look at this verse;

 

Isaiah 10:5 ¶  O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is mine indignation. 6  I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.

 

David acknowledges here, perhaps, that evil, wicked men are permitted to do their crimes because God uses them to chastise and correct His people. This is a disturbing consideration.

 

Some commentators say that verse 15 shows a knowledge of a future resurrection when David will see God’s face. They refer back to Psalm 16:9-11. Please review the previous verses I noted from other authors of books of the Bible and their expectation.

 

Prophetically, this passage shows the future sorrow the Jews will have to endure and then the followers of Christ in the Great Tribulation to come. The end result of faithfulness to God from the Jew before Christ and the Christian, both Jew and Gentile, after Christ is to see God’s face in eternity.

 

Matthew 5:8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

 

The pure in heart shall see God. The Psalms define in what being pure in heart entails.

 

Psalm 24: 3 ¶  Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?

4  He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. 5  He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation. 6  This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. Selah.

 

See how in this passage in Psalms where the pure in heart seek God’s face and then in Matthew, chapter 5, Christ says that they will see God.

 

Notice the statement in Hebrews 11.

 

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

 

For us today, personally, we not only have wicked people to deal with who hate us for being Christians, hopefully not for just being antisocial and obnoxious, but we also have malevolent spiritual beings that oppose us. I often think of these pleas against the wicked in Psalms as prayers that can be made against spiritual beings as well.

 

This is also a promise of our resurrection and eternal life with the One who created us.

 

 

No comments: