Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Psalms, chapter 13, comments

 


Psalm 13:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.» How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me? 2  How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? 3  Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death; 4  Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved. 5  But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation. 6  I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

 

Regarding David’s context this is clearly a time when he was in great distress. Notice the lament how long repeated four times. God’s help is not coming quickly enough for David. But, in the end, David declares his trust in God’s mercy and salvation from his temporal distress. God has dealt bountifully with him and blessed him and David should not doubt God. Notice other declarations of someone’s absolute trust in God.

 

First, Job;

 

Job 13:15a  Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him…

 

Then, Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego;

 

Daniel 3:17  If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. 18  But if not, be it known unto thee, O +king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

 

Then, Paul;

 

Philippians 4:11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

 

Prophetically, I think we can look ahead to several instances where the saints of God in the Old Testament cried out for God’s revealing Himself in their issue. For instance, Jeremiah;

 

Jeremiah12:1  Righteous art thou, O LORD, when I plead with thee: yet let me talk with thee of thy judgments: Wherefore doth the way of the wicked prosper? wherefore are all they happy that deal very treacherously?

 

Jeremiah 20:7 ¶  O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me. 8  For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily. 9  Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay. 10  For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my familiars watched for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him. 11  But the LORD is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten. 12  But, O LORD of hosts, that triest the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto thee have I opened my cause. 13  Sing unto the LORD, praise ye the LORD: for he hath delivered the soul of the poor from the hand of evildoers.

 

God leaves us in the dark many times and as Matthew Henry noted the bread of sorrow is often the saint’s daily food. We often load ourselves with “anxious cares” more than are necessary. It is common to think when trouble lasts long that it will last always. In the Psalms, as in life, though, we see how things pass from despair and despondency to joy and triumph in a very short period of time. The power of faith and drawing near to God, placing our cares at the throne of grace will relieve us of much distress.

 

1Peter 5:6  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

 

As David was confident of deliverance we, too, can dismiss all hope but hope in God’s mercy in a trying time and then rejoice in it when He sends His mercy our way.

No comments: