Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Psalm 16 comments: in thee do I put my trust

 



Psalm 16:1 ¶  «Michtam of David.» Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust. 2  O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee; 3  But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight. 4  Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips. 5  The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot. 6  The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. 7  I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.

 

Michtam is an obscure reference for which we can get many explanations from many commentators. Some say it means golden or profound and others say it is only a musical reference. It is found again in Psalms 56 through 60.

 

David is said to be a man after God’s own heart.

 

1Samuel 13:14  But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

 

And yet David was guilty of great sin. How could he be described as such?

 

Acts 13:22  And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

 

David’s trust in God never wavered despite his own selfish desires. That is the key to being a man after God’s own heart.

 

Saints in verse 3 is a very interesting word. It means sanctified ones, those set apart by God for God. Regardless of the Roman Catholic mythology God’s own who trust in Him are His saints. It is clear that by noting the saints that are in the earth it is implied that there are saints in the spiritual world.

 

Ephesians 3:14 ¶  For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15  Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

 

Hebrews 12:23  To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect

 

In verse 4 David mentions drink offerings of blood. Apart from the Roman Catholic heresy let’s look at what he was specifically referring to. Drink offerings of wine were required under the Law given to Moses.

 

Numbers 28:7  And the drink offering thereof shall be the fourth part of an hin for the one lamb: in the holy place shalt thou cause the strong wine to be poured unto the LORD for a drink offering.

 

Drink offerings were made to other gods by the heathen and the idolatrous Israelites.

 

Jeremiah 7:18  The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

 

In verse 5 David is celebrating his relationship with God. Portion is used as inheritance in the following;

 

Genesis 31:14  And Rachel and Leah answered and said unto him, Is there yet any portion or inheritance for us in our father’s house?

 

Deuteronomy 32:9  For the LORD’S portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

 

My cup is used elsewhere in Psalms to refer to God’s blessings, God’s bounty, and God’s deliverance.

 

Psalm 23:5  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

 

In verse 6 David declares the beautiful and wonderful inheritance he has received from the Lord with lines as in boundary lines. See goodly heritage at the end.

 

The use of reins in verse 7 is very interesting. Reins are internal organs, particularly the kidneys, and is used in a similar way that heart is used in the Bible sometimes for gut feelings, thoughts, and intentions. Remember back in Psalm, chapter 7.

 

Psalm 7:9  Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins.

 

So here David’s confidence in the Lord is confirmed even by his feelings, his innermost being.

 

Prophetically, not only can we see in the pages of the Bible how the Israelites failed God and followed after other gods, to their own destruction, we can look at a clear distinction between the Christian and the heathen. The distinction is in how we have confidence in God and how many of the elite of the heathen resent even our right and duty to acknowledge and worship God. The clear lines between us become greyer in areas where Christians engage in heathenish activities. For instance, when Christians practice cohabitation and live with a sex partner to whom they are not married, treating the bond-for-life that God intended casually and irreverently they are following the heathen philosophy.

 

The first large work of Satan when Christianity first grew was the creation of a state church that denied the liberty that is found in the New Testament and killed not only unbelievers but nonconforming Christians. It was a Satanic religion that said that kings ruled in God’s place and were to be followed and obeyed as if they were God. That started with early church leaders like Cyprian insisting that to obey a Christian priest was to obey God. We still have that today in Fundamentalism where to obey the charismatic pastor is to obey God in some instances (i.e. Jack Hyles).

 

Paul had to warn Corinthian Christians about not engaging in pagan worship practices even if they were doing it as a matter of convenience as any clear reading of his letters to them will show.

 

I am bringing this all together to explain a greater truth. Today, there are controversies in America regarding things like Critical Race Theory and various sexual orientations and lifestyles. So-called Marxist Critical Theory and sexual “liberation” movements are all connected to 1960s Marxists of the Frankfort School like Herbert Marcuse and postmodernist philosophers like Michel Foucault. Modern Civil Rights movements in America take their cues and tactics from the Marxist playbook as do the arguments to impact young people’s lives with Critical Race Theory. Critical Race Theory is not about the teaching of history but of Marxist philosophy and class warfare disguised as racial oppression.

 

When Christians defy traditional lines of morality like practicing fornication or having sex with someone to whom they are not married or practicing cohabitation (shacking up) they have been drawn into the Marxist sphere of living and are more open to the tyranny of the collective. People are weakened by their rejection of the stability of traditional morality or their offspring will eventually become more and more dependent upon government and the largesse of the collective playing right into Marxist aspirations for control.

 

There is not a long distance from the state church at Rome and its drink offerings of blood to a government that considers itself a messiah and rests its authority on what Richard Ely, mentor to President Woodrow Wilson, said was the “divine right of the state.” There is also not a long distance between Christians shacking up and accepting homosexual couples in the congregation.

 

But back to the passage, Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god is a very prophetic statement and an indictment of America today.

 

Personally, we must reject any standard of living, any even hint of our accepting of current society’s moral positions. We as Christians must not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate anyone who does. We must not commit fornication, avoid “shacking up” with a sex partner, drunkenness, illegal drug use, and so many other things that are glorified in our culture. We must refrain from immodest dress, sensual behavior, and sexualizing children at a young age by permitting these things to come before their eyes.

 

In other words, we should be circumspect in our lives, careful in our dealings, and always thinking of whether what we are doing glorifies God or ourselves, or perhaps no one. The Communist mentality that has infiltrated our culture tells us that a thing is okay to do simply because we want to do it and that being happy is life’s highest good which of course are rubbish thinking. Remember always in your mind, Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god.

 

Psalm 16:8 ¶  I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. 9  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. 10  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 11  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

 

David’s confidence in God requires David’s complete trust in God. He is expressing the belief and faith of what God will do for him. It is clear he is showing that David had a confidence in the resurrection. And by context verse 11 would reveal a belief in eternal life on David’s part which is evident throughout Bible history on the part of believers.

 

Job spoke of the resurrection nearly 2,000 years before Christ.

 

Job 14:13  O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! 14  If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come. 15  Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

 

Job 19:25  For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 26  And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: 27  Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

 

Isaiah spoke of a resurrection a thousand years after Job.

Isaiah 26:19  Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

And Daniel a few hundred years after Isaiah.

Daniel 12:2  And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Ezekiel also spoke of a physical resurrection although many insist this is metaphorical, simply about the restoration of Israel. I believe it is, on its literal level, physical regarding flesh and blood.

Ezekiel 37:1 ¶  The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, 2  And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. 3  And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest. 4  Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. 5  Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: 6  And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. 7  So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. 8  And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them. 9  Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. 10  So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army. 11  Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. 12  Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 13  And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves, 14  And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

In the record of Paul’s debate with the religious leaders of his day when he was first arrested the proof of the belief in the resurrection is evident.

Acts 23:6  But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question…8  For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

Acts 24:15  And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust…21  Except it be for this one voice, that I cried standing among them, Touching the resurrection of the dead I am called in question by you this day.

The Resurrection is the primary doctrine of Christianity, for without it, saying that Jesus Christ was God means nothing. Without the Resurrection, belief in the judgment of sin in eternity is a stupid and vain oppression of the spirit of man. If we die and cease to exist we have nothing but self-righteousness in this life if we are religious.

Paul said it like this;

1Corinthians 15:12 ¶  Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13  But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 14  And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15  Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 16  For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 17  And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 18  Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 19  If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

 

 

Prophetically this passage is alluded to again in Acts as a reference to Christ. An allusion is not a direct quote but uses the sentiment of a passage. The Holy Spirit shows us what the intended meaning of a passage is in this way.

 

Acts 2:25  For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: 26  Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27  Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28  Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

 

So, at Pentecost Peter is preaching to Jewish proselytes from many nations who will become followers of Christ the Lord. Here the Holy Spirit applies this passage in Psalms to the Lord Jesus Christ. The prophetic interpretations are clear.

 

For us, personally, this again can be applied to the promise of eternal life and our eternal life with the One who created us. It is a great prayer if we think of the promises we have in Christ and how we view Christ Himself, God in the flesh, who was here with us in the flesh, who is here inside of us in His Spirit, and perhaps in book form, in the Bible as the word of God.

No comments: