Friday, March 29, 2024

Psalm 62 comments

 


Psalm 62:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David.» Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation. 2  He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved. 3  How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence. 4  They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah. 5  My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. 6  He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7  In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

 

In this passage of Psalm 62 David confirms that his deliverance comes only from God and that it is only in God’s power to save him from the liars, the cutthroats who plot against him. They are false friends and disloyal although they pretend to be faithful.

 

Here as in most places where salvation is used, it is a reference to temporal deliverance as the context makes clear although we may use it for our eternal salvation.

 

David has expressed his confidence many times.

 

Psalm 25:5  Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

 

Psalm 27:14  Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

 

Psalm 33:20  Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.

 

Psalm 40:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.» I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

 

God is our strength and refuge, our consolation times of trouble and pain. It is only in Christ, who is God in the flesh, that we can have confidence in our future. He is the Rock on which the church is built, the cornerstone of the foundation.

 

1Corinthians 10:4  And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

 

Ephesians 2:20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

 

1Peter 2:6  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

 

Psalm 62:8 ¶  Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah. 9  Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity. 10  Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them. 11  God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God. 12  Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Here David tells the congregation, the Israelites and by extension us, to trust in God always and not to trust in dominating others, in riches, or in men regardless of their social status or power. We have been told who runs the world’s governments.

 

Daniel 4:17  This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

 

We know who is behind the world system that rejects Christ’s rule.

 

2Corinthians 4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

 

Luke 4:5  And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6  And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

 

In continuing with the thought of this Psalm David puts his trust in God and in God alone, as should we. Verse 12 shows two things; one that the religion of the Israelites was based on works in a way that ours is not. It can also be taken to mean that we will reap what we sow, which we know is often the case if not always. Or as the cartoon, Popeye the Sailorman, muttered, “ya gets what ya pays for.”

 

David understands that God is absolute in power over all reality and it is foolish to trust in anything or anyone else.

 

No comments: