Thursday, March 21, 2024

Psalm 61, comments

 


Psalm 61:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David.» Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. 2  From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 3  For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. 4  I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

 

David’s praise here of God is truly remarkable and it is a prayer we can use almost in its entirety with few changes.

 

Bible students, Rabbis, and commentators are unsure if a Neginah was a musical instrument, a note, or a tune. It is the singular of Neginoth found in Psalm 4:1’s introduction.

 

The metaphor of wings in this Psalm is used elsewhere as one would expect if one person were behind most of writing. We’ve already talked about the use of wings to represent God’s deliverance.

 

We cry out when our hearts are overwhelmed with fear or grief or even regret and plead for God to lead us to a safe place above all our enemies. God is our strong tower, a castle’s keep. We will trust in God forever and abide with Him for eternity. He indwells each believer through His Spirit, His mind working in us. We should trust in that deliverance.  

 

Christ is that rock that is higher than I, our shelter in life’s storm, a strong tower against our enemies.

 

Psalm 61:5 ¶  For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name. 6  Thou wilt prolong the king’s life: and his years as many generations. 7  He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him. 8  So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.

 

In verse 5 David says that God has heard him in the vows he made pleading for deliverance.

 

Verse 1 said, Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.

 

God has given David and we ourselves an everlasting inheritance. That is the heritage of those that fear thy name.

 

Some might say though that from an immediate perspective David is talking about the faithful of Israel of his day. The large application of the verse is appropriate, too, I believe.

 

David says that God will add days to his life and years to his posterity. As a reference to Christ we can see that of his kingdom there will be no end.

 

Isaiah 9:6  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. 7  Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

 

David affirms that he will abide with God for ever which is also a reflection of the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ.

 

Psalm 41:12  And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face for ever.

 

David declares that he will sing praise to God for ever, which is what he must have vowed in his distress.

 

Psalm 30:12  To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

No comments: