Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Psalms, chapter 32, comments

 



Psalms 32:1 ¶  «A Psalm of David, Maschil.» Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2  Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. 3  When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. 4  For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. 5  I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. 6  For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.

 

Notice how Paul includes verses one and two in his argument in Romans, chapter 4.

 

Romans 4:1 ¶  What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2  For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3  For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4  Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5  But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6  Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7  Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8  Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

 

Verses three to five underscore the necessity of confessing your sins to God and how you cannot find peace until you do. This is a great prayer for us in acknowledgment of our distress when we are being led to repentance by a holy God.

 

Verse six reminds us that we must come to God while we have the opportunity to receive that peace from Him so we do not wait for our hearts to be hardened. Even though the Christian cannot lose their salvation they can suffer a great deal when they are stubborn or blind to their sin.

 

Floods of great waters is recognized as an extremity of affliction, also suggesting for Christians how God will protect them in the final judgment. So, with David we see that he acknowledges that God will save the Godly man in the worst of situations and we can imagine by looking forward that this is yet another picture of the Translation of the Church, popularly called The Rapture, when the church is removed from the wrath to come.

 

Psalm 32:7 ¶  Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. 8  I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. 9  Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee. 10  Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about. 11  Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

 

Notice this cross-reference.

 

Psalm 27:5  For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

 

This preservation from trouble even extends to the time of great tribulation at the end of human-centered history.

 

Revelation 7:14  And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

 

Remember the joy David expressed previously.

 

Psalm 30:11  Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; 12  To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

 

Verse 8 seems like the point of view changes to God speaking through David. Some commentators believe it is still David giving counsel, but others agree with me that the point of view has changed. I am reminded of another bit of advice that is similar.

 

Proverbs 3:5  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

 

Notice the encouragement David imparts in verses 10 and 11. We often don’t realize how dependent we are each day on God’s mercy.

 

 

 

No comments: