Monday, April 25, 2016

Revelation 22:10-21 comments: the end of the beginning

 10  And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand. 11  He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
Much has been said about verse 11. In each generation the end of history has been at hand. Each generation can recall its conquerors, it’s horrible wars, famines, and utter destruction. Satan has his man ready, waiting in the wings, so to speak, from Nimrod to Al Baghdadi of ISIS. But, God exercised restraint and gave man more time. Each empire draws people together and people drawing together inevitably stand against God as mankind prefers worshipping himself over his Creator.
As Matthew Henry stated, this book being open will encourage men, and women, I might add. Those who are wicked will be given even more of an excuse to practice their wickedness as they have a short time. Those who are Christ’s will be encouraged in their faith to remain close to Him because they have eternity with Him waiting for them.
12  And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
When these events happen they will happen quickly and every man will be judged. As churches were judged in the introduction so will nations be judged. The judgment of individuals who go along with the church’s apostasy or the national sin is apparent.
Matthew 25:31 ¶  When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32  And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
13  I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
You can go back to Chapter 1 to see this declaration.
 14  Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15  For without are dogs [see 2Peter 2 for dogs as false teachers and prophets], and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. 16  I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. 17  And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. 18  For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
We’ve come full circle back to the introduction and Jesus’ warnings to the seven churches. Also, whomever removes anything from this book or, for that matter, the entire Bible, is accursed. This is a great promise of eternity with Christ or a warning of an eternity of misery.
    20 ¶  He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. 21  The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Thank you for reading my frail attempt to unravel these things from a literal perspective. I hope you were inspired to read your Bible even if it was only for the purpose of proving me wrong.  In any event, read and study. Let God speak to you through His words. It will change your life, I assure you. 

No comments: