Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Revelation 2:18-29 comments: Thyatira


18 ¶  And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; 19  I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. 20  Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 21  And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22  Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23  And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 24  But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25  But that which ye have already hold fast till I come. 26  And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: 27  And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. 28  And I will give him the morning star. 29  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

For the church at Thyatira works are mentioned twice and the last works are greater than the first so Thyatira’s works were becoming greater. Christian works are defined very specifically in the Bible as an expression of faith, not as a means of acquiring salvation or keeping it.

James 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

1Timothy 5: 9  Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man, 10  Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints’ feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

Romans 12:13  Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

The church at Thyatira, like many modern megachurches, probably had a number of ministries that minister to the hungry and sick and took care of the elders among them.

However, this church is criticized for permitting either a physical person calling herself Jezebel to pollute their faith or Jezebel is used figuratively to describe their tendency to absorb pagan practices. Her punishment is severe but the phrase to kill her children with death suggests a plague of some sort, rather than just a generic reference to death.

Revelation 6:8  And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

2Samuel 24:13  So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee? or that there be three days’ pestilence in thy land? now advise, and see what answer I shall return to him that sent me….15  So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.

Verse 24…Not everyone in the church at Thyatira is to be judged like this and Christ tells them to hold on until He returns. He that holds fast his faith until the end will be given rule over the nations. This is clearly in Christ’s millennial reign when He returns to rule which will become clearer later. Pottery broken to shivers, means to be dashed to pieces.

The great Psalm about the millennium of Christ’s reign on earth is important at this point.

Psalm 2:1 ¶  Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2  The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, 3  Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 4  He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. 5  Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. 6  Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

7 ¶  I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. 8  Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. 9  Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.

10 ¶  Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. 11  Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 12  Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

As Christ has all authority and power over the nations so shall these, His faithful followers.

Matthew 28:18  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

He received this by His obedience unto death, His submission to His own divine plan and will, even though Satan offered it to Him if He would bow down to this created being.

Luke 4:5  And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6  And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. 7  If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine. 8  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

And they will be given the morning star, who is Christ.

Revelation 22:16  I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

1 comment:

Nicole R. Hill said...

As nice blog,but you could have made this blog more
http://123essay.org/ cool if you could configure the language changer pluigin but all the same you have done a good job