Sunday, October 25, 2015

John 17:6-16 comments: the son of perdition


6 ¶  I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7  Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8  For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 9  I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 10  And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

As Christ teaches us and gives us an example of prayer He continues to pray to God the Father. He states that He has taught the Apostles about God, that they belonged to God, that God the Father gave them to Christ, and they were faithful and kept His word. They now know that Christ is over all things and the only way to God is through Him for He is God. They know His words come directly from God the Father.

Christ is praying for them, not for the world that rejects Him, but praying for them, those that God the Father has given Him, for they belong to the Father. Every one that belongs to the Son of God belongs to God the Father, as well, and every one that belongs to God the Father belongs to the Son of God. Christ is glorified in those who believe in and trust in Him.

    11 ¶  And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. 12  While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13  And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14  I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15  I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16  They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Christ will no more be walking in the world of men and women, no more walking on the earth. He is going back to Heaven, the abode of God. Christ calls God the Father, Holy Father, which is not a title to give to men. Like the word reverend it has a particular application to God alone.

Psalm 111:9  He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

Christ prays for unity among the Apostles. Unity is one of the most important attributes that God wishes for the body of Christ.

Romans 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

 

Philippians 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

 

Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

 

This unity of purpose is essential for a church to grow inwardly as the congregation draws closer to God through the Scriptures and outwardly as people are drawn to the church by the Holy Spirit using the atmosphere created by the congregation becoming closer and closer to God.

 

Jesus kept every one of the Apostles except for Judas Iscariot, who is called here the son of perdition. This epithet is used again, by Paul, in 2Thessalonians 2.

 

2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

 

This poses the question as to a further meaning of the following verses with regard to Judas Iscariot whom we have already been told is a devil in John 6:70, 71.

 

Acts 1:25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

 

(See also 1Samuel 5:11)

 

Revelation 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

 

Some believe the spirit of Judas will return in the form of someone at the end in the beast of Revelation as John the Baptist was imbued with the spirit of Elijah, the Prophet.

 

Read Psalm 109 for prophecies that will assigned to Judas in Acts, chapter one. Also see other passages that will be illuminated in Judas’ behavior;

 

Zechariah 11:12  And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.13  And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

 

Psalm 41:9  Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

 

Psalm 55:12  For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: 13  But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. 14  We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.

 

There are other verses that refer to Judas in the Old Testament.

 

Christ spoke these words the Apostles so they might not despair, but have joy as John wrote in his first letter in 1John 1:4 that he was writing that those Christians’ joy might be full. Believing the Bible does not lead you to despair but to joy. We may not understand everything now but we will. Trust God.

 

We do not belong to this world any more. It doesn’t own us even though we often try to let it. As Christ is not of this world, neither are we.

 

Why can we not be removed from this world as soon as we believe and are saved by God?

Jesus asks the Father not to remove His disciples from the world, but as they have a part in saving those of the world that can be saved, He asks that God protect them from the evil.  What would, “the evil,” refer to specifically in this particular context? 

 

Perhaps the evil is Satan, whom we will find out in Luke 22:31, has desires to do much damage to the Apostles.

 

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you [the plural you for all off the disciples], that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee [the singular you, for Simon Peter specifically], that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

No comments: