Friday, June 26, 2015

John 8:12-20 comments: the light of the world


12 ¶  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. 13  The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true. 14  Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. 15  Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. 16  And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. 17  It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. 18  I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me. 19  Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also. 20  These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.

John 1:1 ¶  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2  The same was in the beginning with God. 3  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4  In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

    5 ¶  And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6  There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7  The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8  He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9  That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Jesus will continue this point of doctrine.

John 9:5  As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

John 11:9  Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.10  But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

John 12:35  Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. 36  While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them…46  I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

Before God had created sun, stars, and moon He called forth light to be revealed.

Genesis 1:3 ¶  And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 4  And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. 5  And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

On the physical level of this multidimensional book from God this is light that preexisted what we commonly think of as sources of light. It is light that illuminates. On a spiritual level this is light that is good.

Mark 10:18  And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

It is separate from the darkness, even spiritual darkness, which cannot begin to understand it nor take hold of it or seize it, and conquer it or bring it into subjection, definitions and implications of comprehend in the Bible (Job 37:5; Isaiah 40:12) and according to the Early Modern English database called Lexicons of Modern English (http://leme.library.utoronto.ca/search/).

John 1:5 ¶  And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

1John 1:5  This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

The Pharisees insist that Jesus is lying, that He has no authority on which to back up His claims. Jesus denies that and tells them He is telling the truth and that, while they do not know from where He comes or where He is going, He does.

Verse 15 says, “Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.” This is sentence means that Jesus does not judge any man after the flesh. There is no need to include, “after the flesh,” after, “I judge no man.” Notice this type of wording in James 1:13;

James 1:13  Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

It is not necessary to put, “with evil,” after, “tempteth he any man,” because it is implied by the sentence. You can look for this sentence construction elsewhere. Jesus did not judge after the flesh but after the spirit, the reality of the human heart, as God does not tempt any man for the purpose of seeing him fall, as Satan does, but of proving him.

Jesus has the confirmation of God the Father, the record and witness of the Holy Ghost.

1John  5:7  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Jesus’ declaration that God the Father witnesses with Him is in fulfillment of the Law given to Moses.

Deuteronomy 17:6  At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

Deuteronomy 19:15  One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Of course, the Jews are not going to accept this argument as they ask, perhaps haughtily, “where is your father?” But, Jesus replies that they don’t know Him or His Father because if they had known Him they would have known the Father. Here is a declaration that the only proof of your knowledge of God is your acceptance of Christ. Later He will say that most emphatically as being the only way to God. This is planting the flag, so to speak. Who can miss what He is claiming, the essence of Christianity, that Jesus is and was God in the flesh?

And no one could take Him into custody because it just wasn’t time yet for that to happen by God’s plan.

No comments: