Thursday, December 27, 2007

Matthew, chapter 27

1 ¶ When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:
2 And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

Further information;

Luke 23:1 ¶ And the whole multitude of them arose, and led him unto Pilate. 2 And they began to accuse him, saying, We found this fellow perverting the nation, and forbidding to give tribute to Caesar, saying that he himself is Christ a King. 3 And Pilate asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And he answered him and said, Thou sayest it.
4 Then said Pilate to the chief priests and to the people, I find no fault in this man.
5 And they were the more fierce, saying, He stirreth up the people, teaching throughout all Jewry, beginning from Galilee to this place. 6 When Pilate heard of Galilee, he asked whether the man were a Galilaean.7 And as soon as he knew that he belonged unto Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who himself also was at Jerusalem at that time. 8 And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him. 9 Then he questioned with him in many words; but he answered him nothing.

This is God’s answer to a seared conscience. If you are a dishonest skeptic, if your reason for asking is just foolishness, God will not speak to you. God isn’t interested in showing you anything if you aren’t interested in the truth, dealing honestly with yourself and your sins.

Luke 23:10 And the chief priests and scribes stood and vehemently accused him.11 And Herod with his men of war set him at nought, and mocked him, and arrayed him in a gorgeous robe, and sent him again to Pilate. 12 And the same day Pilate and Herod were made friends together: for before they were at enmity between themselves.

Herod and Pilate, like two church dividers who had been enemies, become friends.

Luke 23:13 ¶ And Pilate, when he had called together the chief priests and the rulers and the people, 14 Said unto them, Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people: and, behold, I, having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof ye accuse him: 15 No, nor yet Herod: for I sent you to him; and, lo, nothing worthy of death is done unto him. 16 I will therefore chastise him, and release him.

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Here’s a flashback to Judas. Judas was an apostle who was baptized, could heal, repent, and make restitution and still not be saved.

4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

Psalm 94:21 They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous, and condemn the innocent blood.

Notice “the innocent blood”. The definite article is very important.

5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Between the Book of Acts account and this one you get the idea that he hung himself and then his bowels gushed out. Some say this might have happened when the earthquake comes and he falls on the rocks and splits open as some do when falling from a height. But, this is speculation.

6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.

How very righteous of them. They’ve paid the blood money but reject its return to them. Modern Pharisees will also split hairs over minor points that would seem ridiculous.

7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter’s field, to bury strangers in.

Donating to the poor is always the last refuge of a Pharisee to justify himself.

8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.
9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;

But, this was WRITTEN in Zechariah who was probably referring to what Jeremiah had SPOKEN.

Zechariah 11:10 And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people. 11 And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the LORD.
12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. 13 And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD. 14 Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.
15 ¶ And the LORD said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd. 16 For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces.
17 Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.

Notice that the reference is to the “idol shepherd”. The beast at the end times has a patch over his eye with types being a cyclops, the one eyed pirate, etc. etc. and the right arm being evidenced by Napoleon, Kaiser Wilhelm, Hitler etc. etc. Perhaps he will have a stroke or survives an assassination attempt. We’ll have evidence on that later.

10 And gave them for the potter’s field, as the Lord appointed me.
11 ¶ And Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto him, Thou sayest.
12 And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.
13 Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?
14 And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.

Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

15 Now at that feast the governor was wont to release unto the people a prisoner, whom they would.
16 And they had then a notable prisoner, called Barabbas.

John 18:40 Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabbas was a robber.

Luke 23:16 I will therefore chastise him, and release him. 17 (For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.) 18 And they cried out all at once, saying, Away with this man, and release unto us Barabbas: 19 (Who for a certain sedition made in the city, and for murder, was cast into prison.)

Barabbas was a robber, a murderer, and a revolutionary, three times guilty. He was a wicked, evil man, not a dashing vagabond. I’ve known murderers and robbers and there is nothing movie like or romantic about them. They are human dogs, knowing only their own lusts and nothing else.

17 Therefore when they were gathered together, Pilate said unto them, Whom will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ?
18 For he knew that for envy they had delivered him.

Abel was killed because of envy and jealousy. Satan sinned because of envy. Envy and jealousy are the root sins. It’s hard to say whether or not pride or envy comes first.

Proverbs 14:30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.

Proverbs 27:4 Wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous; but who is able to stand before envy?

19 When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.

The only person who stood up for Christ was a gentile woman, therefore gentile women are not today beasts of burden and gentile culture elevates women in a way that is not found under Hamite or Shemite culture.

20 But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitude that they should ask Barabbas, and destroy Jesus.
21 The governor answered and said unto them, Whether of the twain will ye that I release unto you? They said, Barabbas.
22 Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say unto him, Let him be crucified.

This is a much used verse for sermons.

23 And the governor said, Why, what evil hath he done? But they cried out the more, saying, Let him be crucified.
24 When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it.

Here we get the phrase, “washed his hands of the matter”.

25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

This request was honored by God for two thousand years. But, don’t let yourself be a part of this judgment. It is a fact of history but not an excuse for a Christian to harm God’s people. Avoid anti-Semitism. To fail to avoid it is to risk God’s wrath on your country. It is between God and the Jews. Pray for Israel, pray for the peace of Jerusalem, pray for the Jews. Only Christ can save them as per the last part of Numbers 35:33. The Jews can only be saved individually by the blood of Jesus Christ.

See Matthew 18:7.

Three times this innocent man is condemned with shouts of “Barabbas”, “Let him be crucified”, and “His blood be on us……”.

26 ¶ Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.

Barabbas means “son of a father”, according to Strong’s.

Scourging is a type of whipping.

Psalm 129:3 The plowers plowed upon my back: they made long their furrows.

Isaiah 52:14 As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men: 15 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

To claim that this means that Christians can’t be sick is to misunderstand what the atonement relates to as we are talking about the disease of sin here being healed.

If you are a charismatic and believe in faith healing then I expect you to not wear glasses or ever need to go to a doctor. After all, if you do either of those things you must not have enough faith according to your doctrine.

27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers.
28 And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.

This color is mentioned in Revelation in a significant way. What “church” is linked to this color?

Revelation 17:3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!
30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.

His feet, because you’ve gone places you shouldn’t have, His hands, because your hands have touched things they shouldn’t have, and the crown of thorns, because you’ve been thinking things you shouldn’t. Just a thought.

31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.

The robe He wore was a Roman robe. He never owned a robe, hence the blasphemous Catholic movie. His own raiment is a reference to what He wore.

Luke 23:25 And he released unto them him that for sedition and murder was cast into prison, whom they had desired; but he delivered Jesus to their will.

It has been said that whenever a preacher preaches Jesus to their congregation that this is what they do, deliver Jesus to their (the congregation’s) will.

32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.

Simon is a North African. Perhaps he is a descendant of Ham.

33 ¶ And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull,

A Bible Believer knows that Jesus was crucified outside of the city. See “without the camp” in Old Testament references. Here is something from the New.

John 19:20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.

Hebrews 13:11 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. 12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

I believe the location is called Gordon’s Cavalry on some maps. Ignore the Roman Catholic heresy.


34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.

Psalm 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

Psalm 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Men crucify Christ there, in the skull. It is our head that refuses to accept Christ, as well as our heart. More on this when I get to John.

36 And sitting down they watched him there;

People like to watch suffering. They like traffic accidents, violent sports, and if you permitted it, they’d enjoy watching executions.

37 And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
38 Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.

Here needs to be inserted a reminder from Exodus about the Passover.

Exodus 12:7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.

Luke 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. 40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. 42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

You can tell a lot about a person’s spiritual state by what verses they change or remove when they translate a Bible using different manuscripts than the Christians used for 2,000 years.

39 And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads,
40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
41 Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said,
42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.
43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.
44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.
45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.
46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Jesus is quoting Psalm 22, and we would do well to look at this Psalm to uncover its prophecies. Here is what we would have cried in Hell but since we have accepted Christ we will never have to say this in Hell.

1 ¶ To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? 2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. 3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them. 5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded. 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. 7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, 8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him. 9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother’s breasts. 10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother’s belly. 11 ¶ Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion. 14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death. 16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. 18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. 19 But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me. 20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog. 21 Save me from the lion’s mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns. 22 ¶ I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee. 23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel. 24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard. 25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him. 26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee. 28 For the kingdom is the LORD’S: and he is the governor among the nations. 29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul. 30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation. 31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Job is a picture of a man in Hell with no hope.

Job 19:7 Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but there is no judgment. 8 ¶ He hath fenced up my way that I cannot pass, and he hath set darkness in my paths. 9 He hath stripped me of my glory, and taken the crown from my head.
10 He hath destroyed me on every side, and I am gone: and mine hope hath he removed like a tree.

Suffering the darkness of Hell forsaken by God where the light is darkness.

Job 10:21 Before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death; 22 A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness.

Suffering the torments of Hell.

Job 17:14 I have said to corruption, Thou art my father: to the worm, Thou art my mother, and my sister. 15 And where is now my hope? as for my hope, who shall see it? 16 They shall go down to the bars of the pit, when our rest together is in the dust.

Job 18: 13 It shall devour the strength of his skin: even the firstborn of death shall devour his strength. 14 His confidence shall be rooted out of his tabernacle, and it shall bring him to the king of terrors.

Suffering the fires of Hell.

Job31:12 For it is a fire that consumeth to destruction, and would root out all mine increase.

Job 15:30 He shall not depart out of darkness; the flame shall dry up his branches, and by the breath of his mouth shall he go away.

Forsaken of God.

Job 13:27 Thou puttest my feet also in the stocks, and lookest narrowly unto all my paths; thou settest a print upon the heels of my feet. 28 And he, as a rotten thing, consumeth, as a garment that is moth eaten.

Job 30: 16 And now my soul is poured out upon me; the days of affliction have taken hold upon me. 17 My bones are pierced in me in the night season: and my sinews take no rest. 18 By the great force of my disease is my garment changed: it bindeth me about as the collar of my coat. 19 He hath cast me into the mire, and I am become like dust and ashes. 20 I cry unto thee, and thou dost not hear me: I stand up, and thou regardest me not.

47 Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias.

This is a reference to Elijah being promised in Malachi, chapter 4.

48 And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.

He doesn’t take the vinegar with gall but takes this.

49 The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him.
50 ¶ Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

There are more details we will get to in the other gospels.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

It was torn from the top, not by man, but by God.

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Here is a partial resurrection of Old Testament saints, the rest will be finished at the end of the Tribulation when the Tribulation saints are raptured. This is, along with Christ’s resurrection is the first of the three “Come up hither” in the Bible.

Proverbs 25:7 For better it is that it be said unto thee, Come up hither; than that thou shouldest be put lower in the presence of the prince whom thine eyes have seen.

54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

These centurion’s or Roman captains of a hundred are all good men in the Bible.

55 And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:
56 Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee’s children.

No women are listed as opposing Christ, even Pilate’s wife was not against him.

57 ¶ When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus’ disciple:
58 He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.

Pilate made sure he was dead first, as per the following;

John 19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: 34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

John 19:38 ¶ And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.

Mark 15:43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
44 And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead. 45 And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.

Then in the resurrected Jesus’ own words;

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
61 And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.
62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.

Pilate seems to have lost interest. Or perhaps he believes in his heart. Either way, he tells them to use their own watch to guard the tomb.

66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.

It didn’t work.

No comments: