Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Psalm 71, comments: a prayer of an old person

 


Psalm 71:1 ¶  In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion. 2  Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me. 3  Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress. 4  Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man. 5  For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth. 6  By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother’s bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee. 7  I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. 8  Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day. 9  Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth. 10  For mine enemies speak against me; and they that lay wait for my soul take counsel together, 11  Saying, God hath forsaken him: persecute and take him; for there is none to deliver him. 12  O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste for my help. 13  Let them be confounded and consumed that are adversaries to my soul; let them be covered with reproach and dishonour that seek my hurt.

 

 

The Psalmist declares that his trust is in God.

 

Psalm 25:2  O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

 

Isaiah 26:3  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

 

He prays for deliverance and salvation from a threat, making the case that he should be delivered because of the righteousness of God.

 

Psalm 31:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.» In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.

 

Psalm 143:1 ¶  «A Psalm of David.» Hear my prayer, O LORD, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me, and in thy righteousness…11  Quicken me, O LORD, for thy name’s sake: for thy righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble.

 

He wants God to be his fortress, a castle that he can retreat into for safety.

 

Psalm 31:2  Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. 3  For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me.

 

He specifically refers to the unrighteous and cruel who threaten his life.

 

Psalm 17:8 ¶  Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, 9  From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about.

 

Psalm 59:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David; when Saul sent, and they watched the house to kill him.» Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me. 2  Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, and save me from bloody men.

 

Psalm 140:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.» Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man; 2  Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war. 3  They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders’ poison is under their lips. Selah. 4  Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings.

 

Again, he appeals to God as his hope, in whom he trusts in whom he has trusted since his youth, even perhaps since he was delivered in childbirth by his own mother.

 

Psalm 13:5  But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.

 

Psalm 71:17  O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.

 

Psalm 22:9  But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother’s breasts. 10  I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother’s belly.

 

Again, he reinforces that God is his safe place.

 

Psalm 62:7  In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

 

Psalm 142:4 ¶  I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul…5  I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.

 

Jeremiah 16:19a  O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction,

 

The Psalmist’s mouth will be filled with praise, a sentiment he will reinforce in the next passage. He pleads that God will not discard him in the weakness of old age, again reinforced in the next passage. His enemies are united in the desire to take advantage of his weakness.

 

Psalm 56:6  They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.

   

They believe God has abandoned him.

 

Psalm 3:2  Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.

 

But he pleads with God to hurry his salvation.

 

Psalm 22:11 ¶  Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help…19  But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

 

Psalm 35:22  This thou hast seen, O LORD: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me.

 

Psalm 38:21  Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me. 22  Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.

 

Psalm 69:18  Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies.

 

Psalm 70:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, to bring to remembrance.» Make haste, O God, to deliver me; make haste to help me, O LORD.

 

He wants God’s vengeance on his persecutors which he will repeat in the next passage.

 

Psalm 6:10  Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

 

Psalm 35:4  Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt…26  Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.

 

Psalm 40:14  Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil. 15  Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha.

 

Jeremiah 20:11  But the LORD is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten.

 

I can see Christ in this with certain limitations as He forgave His persecutors as He exclaimed from the Cross that they didn’t know what they were doing. I can see us in this passage although we are called to pray for our persecutors, not for their destruction. We can see parallels and applications from this passage but they will twist our doctrine if we don’t apply them to David himself first and foremost and understand that all comparisons break down at some point.

 

Psalm 71:14 ¶  But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more. 15  My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers thereof. 16  I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only. 17  O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. 18  Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come. 19  Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high, who hast done great things: O God, who is like unto thee! 20  Thou, which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth. 21  Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side. 22  I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel. 23  My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed. 24  My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long: for they are confounded, for they are brought unto shame, that seek my hurt.

 

The Psalmist is going to hold onto God and not let go. Jeremiah will say;

 

Lamentations 3:26  It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

 

Verse 8 and verse 24 reflect the sentiment of verse 15. Please read Psalm 145, as well. His praise will be continuous all day long.

 

Psalm 145:2  Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.

 

Again, he brings up his age as he did in verse 9 showing that this Psalm was written in his old age.

 

See God’s promise in Isaiah and read the context, if you will.

 

Isaiah 46:4  And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.

 

Although I know that when my time is up it is up I often pray that I be permitted to complete the entire Bible and even to revise comments I’ve already made. So, David prays not to be taken until his work is done.

 

Then, in verse 19, he expresses awe at God’s majesty and power. See how God confirms that fact.

 

Isaiah 55:9  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

 

Job 5:9  Which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvellous things without number:

 

Psalm 89:6  For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD?

 

Exodus 15:11  Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

 

Isaiah 40:18 ¶  To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?

 

Then, in verse 20, David speaks of the resurrection which is a great saying.

 

Job 14:14  If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

 

Job 19:25  For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 26  And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: 27  Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

 

Let me repeat what David says;

 

Psalm 71:20  Thou, which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.

 

Isaiah speaks of a resurrection.

Isaiah 26:19  Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

Daniel speaks of a resurrection.

Daniel 12:2  And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Hosea speaks of a resurrection.

Hosea 13:14  I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

Martha declared it;

John 11:24  Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

And Jesus makes it clear that the God’s dead have not ceased to exist and the following passage makes it plain that the Jews knew of the resurrection, although some did not believe, as it is today.

Matthew 22:23 ¶  The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, 24  Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. 25  Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: 26  Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. 27  And last of all the woman died also. 28  Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. 29  Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 30  For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. 31  But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 32  I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. 33  And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

David expects the relief and deliverance that only God can provide and he promises to praise God continually again. This truly is a Psalm of heartfelt praise from an old person.

 

(By the way, a psaltery is said to be a stringed instrument like a zither whose strings are plucked.)

 

So, this Psalm, written by an old man whose earthly glory has faded, is a prayer for deliverance from enemies who wish to do him harm, taking advantage of his infirmities, a confirmation that the Psalmist has faith in God’s deliverance, and a promise to praise God continually. Perhaps when we are close to death we might pray that we exit this world with the praise of God on our lips or in our thoughts, if too weak to speak.

 

No comments: