Friday, February 2, 2024

Psalm 55 comments

 


Psalm 55:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician on Neginoth, Maschil, A Psalm of David.» Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication. 2  Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise; 3  Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me. 4  My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me. 5  Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me. 6  And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. 7  Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah. 8  I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest.

 

As far as the immediate context this Psalm is most likely referring to the traitor, Ahithophel, David’s trusted counselor, betraying him to David’s son, Absalom, when that son rebelled against him.

 

2Samuel 15:12  And Absalom sent for Ahithophel the Gilonite, David’s counsellor, from his city, even from Giloh, while he offered sacrifices. And the conspiracy was strong; for the people increased continually with Absalom.

 

David cries unto God in his outrage and pleads with God not to turn from David’s plea. He makes an argument against those who have harmed him and are trying to kill him. He feels isolated and alone except for God. Who can he trust if he cannot trust his own family, his beloved son, Absalom, and his once faithful counselor, Ahithophel? David wants to, but cannot, escape who he is and what he must face in this hour of betrayal. We’ve had songs made about flying away from our troubles. See what Christ quoted from the Cross, opening up that Psalm about Him.

 

Psalm 22:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.» My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

 

Matthew 27:46  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

 

Imagine Christ in His frail humanity offering up prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane as the Jewish leadership and the mob they controlled conspired to kill Him. He knew what He had to face but did not look forward to the pain and suffering of His impending death and was reacting like any of us would react showing us that it is not wrong to feel repulsion at the prospect of the process of dying.

 

Hebrews 5:7  Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

 

There may have also been times in your own life when you felt betrayed and alone or seemed to have the whole world against you. You then wanted to cry out in this type of eloquence.

 

Psalm 22:12  Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

13  They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

 

Psalm 55:9 ¶  Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city. 10  Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it. 11  Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets. 12  For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: 13  But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. 14  We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company. 15  Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.

 

David calls for his enemies to be hindered from communicating with each other as they scheme in Jerusalem for his destruction. This reminds me of what God did at Babel to a mankind that was conspiring to rebel against God’s authority.

 

Genesis 11:8  So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. 9  Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

 

And indeed we do see how God did not allow Ahithophel’s counsel to be heeded. Let’s review some of the events around this.

 

2Samuel 15:31 ¶  And one told David, saying, Ahithophel is among the conspirators with Absalom. And David said, O LORD, I pray thee, turn the counsel of Ahithophel into foolishness.

 

Then, read 2Samuel, chapter 17 to see Ahithophel’s counsel disregarded by the actions of David stalwart, Hushai.

 

David laments the conspiracy against him going about the city. Then we move from the direct context of David and Ahithophel to a prophecy of Christ. It wasn’t a stranger who betrayed either David or Jesus but a friend, someone close to them.

 

Psalm 41:9  Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

 

John 13:18 ¶  I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

 

This entire Psalm appears to be a prophecy of Christ as well as a prayer of David. Death does follow both Ahithophel and Judas, death by their own hands.

 

2Samuel 17:23  And when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his ass, and arose, and gat him home to his house, to his city, and put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulchre of his father.

 

Matthew 27:3  Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4  Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. 5  And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

 

Psalm 55:16 ¶  As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me. 17  Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. 18  He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me. 19  God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God. 20  He hath put forth his hands against such as be at peace with him: he hath broken his covenant. 21  The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords. 22  Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. 23  But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction: bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee.

 

David has gone from pleading with God to confidence in His deliverance. Three times per day as set aside times of prayer are revealed here. This teaches us that we should pray frequently.

 

Daniel 6:10  Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.

 

Paul wants us to always be in a prayerful state, communicating with God.

 

Romans 12:12  Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

 

1Thessalonians 5:17  Pray without ceasing.

 

David then describes the traitor, Ahithophel, and the Holy Spirit may be describing Judas,  like we might think of the Beast of Revelation whom we popularly call the Antichrist whose politician’s words will be smoother than butter but war will be in his heart, softer than oil but really will be drawn swords.

 

God, who dwells in eternity, will deal with this person whose wealth and success and influence give him no reason in his heart to change his ways and he has no fear of God.

 

Then he prophecies of the destruction of wicked men and deceivers.

 

We understand that prophecies of Scripture, including those found in the Psalms can refer to multiple events and individuals.

 

In God should be our trust when we have been betrayed and done wrongfully by someone in whom we trusted.

No comments: