Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Psalms, chapter 25, comments

 



Psalms 25:1 ¶  «A Psalm of David.» Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul. 2  O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me. 3  Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause. 4  Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. 5  Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day. 6  Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old. 7  Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, O LORD.

 

David is directing his individual personhood, the seat of his will and self-identity, his soul upwards toward God, his Creator.

 

Psalm 86:4  Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.

 

This suggests heartfelt prayer on the part of David. He then goes on to express two things; trust and a plea not to have that trust fail so that his enemies triumph over him. Remember what he said in 7:1.

 

Psalm 7:1 ¶  «Shiggaion of David, which he sang unto the LORD, concerning the words of Cush the Benjamite.» O LORD my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me:

 

And he will say again soon;

 

Psalm 31:1 ¶  «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.» In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.

 

Verse 3 is a reaffirmation of verse 2. The transgressions without cause are clearly against him and he desires protection from such transgressions made against him by people who have no justification.

 

Verses 4 and 5 are wonderful prayers. For cross-references see;

 

Psalm 27:11  Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

 

Psalm 86:11  Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

 

Psalm 119:27  Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.

 

David acknowledges that God is the God of his salvation and David waits for God all day which may suggest that David expects something from God each and every day. He expects to see God’s power and His mercy every single day. This is a good prayer.

 

He then asks for God to remember and to forget something. David is pleading to God’s mercy that He will not consider the sins of his youth. This is an important thing to consider as most people have committed sins in their youth, some of which follow them through their lives. The only hope David has is that he leans on God’s tender mercy and on His lovingkindness.

 

Prophetically, as well as personally, this is a great prayer for Christians of all ages who faced and face opposition from institutional Christians churches as well as persecution from non-Christians, people of other faiths or no faith at all. It is an appeal to God for protection as our weapons of warfare are not carnal as Paul noted so eloquently.

2Corinthians 10:3  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

4  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

6  And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

 

Psalm 25:8 ¶  Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way. 9  The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. 10  All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies. 11  For thy name’s sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great. 12  What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose. 13  His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth. 14  The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.

 

Please note, for verse 8;

 

Psalm 119:68 ¶  Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes.

 

Notice how artfully the colon is used to define what goes before by what goes after it. Because God is good and upright He does not abandon sinners but teaches them His standards of righteousness.

 

David notes that God will guide the meek in judgment and teach them his ways. Who are the meek here?

 

Notice how meek is used in the following verse;

 

Numbers 12:3  (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)

 

Now why is an Egyptian prince who murders a man and also then leads a couple of million people on a forty year long journey through a wilderness called meek?

 

We know meek is used of the poor.

 

Isaiah 29:19  The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

 

But in reference to Moses and to Christ it must be said to be subordinate to God the Father. Christ, in His humanity showed us that He was not above obeying the Father’s will as our example.

 

Matthew 11:29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

 

So, meekness for those who seek and praise God reflects their submission to Him. The meek are meek towards God. David is not a poor man. He is a king.

 

In verse 10 David makes a wonderful point. Let’s compare and contrast other verses in the Psalms.

 

Psalm 18:25  With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright; 26  With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.

 

Psalm 37:23  The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. 24  Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

 

Here, in verse 11, David does not plead for God’s mercy for his sins because they are “not so bad” but because they are great. A patient doesn’t usually come to a doctor for help because he has a trifling illness but because he is very sick. So, David pleads the greatness of his iniquity, not its insignificance.

 

See how God’s mercy is a trait of God, a part of who He is in the following verses.

 

Psalm 31:3  For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me.

 

Psalm 79:9  Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name: and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name’s sake.

 

Psalm 109:21 ¶  But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name’s sake: because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.

 

Psalm 143:11  Quicken me, O LORD, for thy name’s sake: for thy righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble.

 

Isaiah 43:25  I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

 

Isaiah 48:9 ¶  For my name’s sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain for thee, that I cut thee not off.

 

David knows that it is not because of us but because of Him and who He is that God shows mercy.

 

Ezekiel 36:21  But I had pity for mine holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the heathen, whither they went. 22  Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name’s sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.

 

There are other verses that express something of the sentiment expressed in verse 12 that David puts forth.

 

Psalm 111:10  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

 

Proverbs 1:7 ¶  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

 

Proverbs 2:5  Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

 

Proverbs 15:33 ¶  The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

 

Proverbs 16:6 ¶  By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

 

Ecclesiastes 12:13 ¶  Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

 

David says something in verse 13 that takes us back to my thoughts on meekness. The people that are meek toward God and fears the Lord inherit the earth and, I might add, eternal life. I will be repeating this when I get to a personal interpretation of this passage.

 

David says that God reveals things to the people who seek Him, who are His.

 

Proverbs 3:32  For the froward is abomination to the LORD: but his secret is with the righteous.

 

From a prophetic point of view this passage would look toward the millennial reign of Christ and in some ways eternity even. Those who have surrendered to their Creator will enjoy the benefits that David has declared.

 

From a personal point of view we must understand that God doesn’t pardon us because our sins are “not so bad” but because they are great and because it is in his character to do so. In that regard this would be part of a wonderful prayer for the Christian.

 

Psalm 25:15 ¶  Mine eyes are ever toward the LORD; for he shall pluck my feet out of the net. 16  Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted. 17  The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses. 18  Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins. 19  Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred. 20  O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee. 21  Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee. 22  Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles.

 

As David speaks of looking to God in times of distress notice these verses;

 

 

Psalm 123:2  Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the LORD our God, until that he have mercy upon us.

 

Psalm 141:8  But mine eyes are unto thee, O GOD the Lord: in thee is my trust; leave not my soul destitute.

 

Psalm 31:4  Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.

 

Psalm 124:7  Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we are escaped.

 

Let us look at Psalm 69 first, which also is a prophecy of Christ.

 

Psalm 69:13 ¶  But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation. 14  Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters. 15  Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me. 16  Hear me, O LORD; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies. 17  And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily. 18  Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies. 19  Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee. 20  Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. 21  They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

 

Look also at Psalm 88.

 

Psalm 88:1 ¶  «A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite.» O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee: 2  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry; 3  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave. 4  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength: 5  Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand. 6  Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps. 7  Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah. 8  Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me; thou hast made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth. 9  Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.

 

    10 ¶  Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 11  Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction? 12  Shall

thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? 13  But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee. 14  LORD, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me? 15  I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted. 16  Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off. 17  They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together. 18  Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.

 

In verse 18 look at the contrast between the afflictions David is suffering and his sins. Remember in verse 7 he was concerned about the sins of his youth, as they are often great for all of us.

 

7  Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, O LORD.

 

Compare with these other verses;

 

Psalm 119:132 ¶  Look thou upon me, and be merciful unto me, as thou usest to do unto those that love thy name…153 ¶  RESH. Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law.

 

See how Hannah made her request regarding her affliction of being childless;

 

1Samuel 1:11  And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.

 

There is an expectation of deliverance when the request is made, a faith that God will not abandon them.

 

See verses 19-22. This is a common theme of Psalms for protection against enemies.

 

Psalm 3:1 ¶  «A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.» LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. 2  Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.

 

Psalm 27:2  When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell…12  Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

Psalm 38:19  But mine enemies are lively, and they are strong: and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.

 

Psalm 56:2  Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.

 

Psalm 57:4  My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.

 

Psalm 138:7  Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.

 

Psalm 143:3  For the enemy hath persecuted my soul; he hath smitten my life down to the ground; he hath made me to dwell in darkness, as those that have been long dead.

 

In verse 22 David pleads for all Israel.

 

Prophetically speaking for verse 15 think of this statement from Paul in his second letter to Timothy.

 

2Timothy 2:25  In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26  And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

 

Can you see the threat of a snare that those who reject Christ are in danger of?

 

Now come back to the Old Testament as Jeremiah talks of wicked men.

 

Jeremiah 5:25 ¶  Your iniquities have turned away these things, and your sins have withholden good things from you. 26  For among my people are found wicked men: they lay

wait, as he that setteth snares; they set a trap, they catch men.

 

Prophetically, speaking of what verse 22 reminds us of, Daniel will plead for exiled Israel.

 

Daniel 9:17  Now therefore, O our God, hear the prayer of thy servant, and his supplications, and cause thy face to shine upon thy sanctuary that is desolate, for the Lord’s sake.

 

We can imagine this passage as a prayer for deliverance during the Great Tribulation to come, the Time of Jacob’s trouble and it is a great prayer for ourselves in times of great distress. We may not have physical enemies that hate us but we most certainly have spiritual forces around us that want to see us destroyed.

No comments: