Saturday, October 25, 2014

Job 21:17-26 comments: the inheritance passed on by the wicked

17 ¶  How oft is the candle of the wicked put out! and how oft cometh their destruction upon them! God distributeth sorrows in his anger. 18  They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away. 19  God layeth up his iniquity for his children: he rewardeth him, and he shall know it. 20  His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of the Almighty. 21  For what pleasure hath he in his house after him, when the number of his months is cut off in the midst? 22  Shall any teach God knowledge? seeing he judgeth those that are high. 23  One dieth in his full strength, being wholly at ease and quiet. 24  His breasts are full of milk, and his bones are moistened with marrow. 25  And another dieth in the bitterness of his soul, and never eateth with pleasure. 26  They shall lie down alike in the dust, and the worms shall cover them.

In Psalm 73, quoted earlier, in the lamentation about how the wicked seem to prosper, the end of the Psalm reveals the writer’s final understanding of what will happen to the wicked.

Psalm 73:15 ¶  If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children. 16  When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me; 17  Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. 18  Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction. 19  How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors. 20  As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image.

    21 ¶  Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. 22  So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee. 23  Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. 24  Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. 25  Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. 26  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. 27  For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee. 28  But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

Even though the wicked prosper and God’s judgment is not reckoned speedily or, as some would note, “God’s ways are sure, but they are tedious,” they do have an expected end. Whether the wicked die satisfied or in misery, it is certain that he will die and that judgment will follow, with the sin he passes on to his children being their heritage of misery.

Let me give you an example of what I am saying, inspired by the passage. The wicked man passes on his selfishness, his worship of Self, to his children and broken homes and hearts are distributed around like gifts at Christmas. Even if the children of the wicked profess to be Christians, as even the wicked man might, their god is still Self and their end is destruction, not only of themselves, their testimony, and reputation but also of their children’s lives. A “familiar spirit” may be a family spirit and the apple rarely falls too far from the tree. “Like mother like daughter, like father like son,” is not too far off the mark. Although it may sound hard a young Christian would do well to consider the family background of the person they are considering uniting their lives with and consider what chains and shackles they may be burdening themselves and their children with. Don’t make a project out of a potential mate. Your love is not going to change decades of training and experience or a heart bent on self-worship and carnality.

Young men and women should look at the parents of their potential mate for life, the family background, and consider what they are getting into. No amount of charismatic behavior or flattering and sincere sounding speech at the beginning will make up for a lifetime of misery, misery that is passed onto innocent (at first) children.

Consider this….19  God layeth up his iniquity for his children: he rewardeth him, and he shall know it. 20  His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of the Almighty. 21  For what pleasure hath he in his house after him, when the number of his months is cut off in the midst?

God alone can change anyone who is willing to submit to Him through His word. You change nothing, highly paid motivational speakers and preachers notwithstanding. Young women should particularly understand this as they often think their love will change a wicked man. That is a sad joke and often one with a punch line told too late. While men complain that women are notorious for faking a physical response to affection it is a grim but greater truth that men can fake an entire relationship.


You have been warned. Take heed.

No comments: