Thursday, February 16, 2012

Proverbs 30:5 commentary; every word of God

5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

I believe in two fundamental doctrines regarding the Bible. The first is that the Bible, in its entirety, was given by inspiration of God. This means that God gave original writers, later translators, copyists, and even the church the wisdom and understanding to put down on paper what God wanted us to have, discarding that which was not given by inspiration. The translators of the Authorized Version had been given that inspiration as the power of that Book in the lives of those who actually submit to it rather than to a celebrity preacher attest. No other Bible has the cross referencing, parallel phrasing, key words, or replacement wording that the KJB has for self definition and understanding. This is not “God breathed” or dictated word for word as Jeremiah 36 shows but given by inspiration.

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

2Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

(Anyone can understand that Timothy, being raised with scripture, could not have had the original writings of Moses and the prophets. Therefore, the all scripture refers to all scripture, including copies and translations.)

2Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Secondly, I believe in the doctrine of preservation. God preserved the Bible He gave by inspiration. If He was not capable of that how do you know He is capable of saving you?

Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Psalm 119:89 LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

The power of the King James Bible, the Authorized Version, to save and sanctify those who read it seeking to gain something from it, believing, is only one proof of it being the preserved word of God, given by inspiration.
God is a shield to those who put their trust in Him through His pure word. I depend on God’s word to keep me from sin. I have only been disappointed when I willfully have chosen sin but that isn’t a failing in the word but in me. There are things I have, in times past, enjoyed partaking in that I no longer can even stomach, those things repel me. The Bible has given me a deeper love for my family, more tolerance for those around me, a desire to glorify Christ, and to hear and read the word every day to as much an extent as possible.

I am not perfect and complete and will not ever be so in this life. In many ways you reading this are probably far superior to me in spirituality and character. However, I am completely dependent on God’s word to set me apart, to sanctify me, for any use, no matter how small or unimportant to you, that God may have for me.

When you are dependent on God’s word you can’t get puffed up. You didn’t do anything to become prideful for, as everything you have you received, and did not get on your own and do not possess on your own.

1Corinthians 4:7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

I know my weaknesses and my faults and, although I have stumbled in the past, I know what situations not to permit myself to step into, lest I fall down. But, the Bible has, from the inside, done a work in me. My feelings and desires about everything from alcohol to horror movies has been changed through the word. I don’t crave, desire, enjoy or even like certain things I used to and there are things I enjoy immensely, like hearing and reading God’s word, that I didn’t enjoy beforetime.

If you simply read God’s word every day, for instance, as Bishop Becke of the 16th century referring to a precursor to the King James Bible or Dean John Burgon in the 19th century said, a half hour a day without interruption you will voluntarily without any act of willpower or hope of self improvement give up a great many things of the world and add a great many things of God.

I suspect most Christians will not read the Bible like that from cover to cover simply because they are afraid of what might happen. Will they be turned from their favorite sport? A favorite vice, like gambling? What about their idolatry? Foul language? Worship of self? Bigotry and hatred? I challenge you to read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation through twice each year apart from any Bible study or sermon preparation. Read it consistently, at the same time each day. And don’t forget to pray over it and about it, asking the Holy Spirit for help and guidance, as prayer is essential to understanding the word of God.

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Faith in God is a shield to all them who put their trust in Him through His word. Note our Proverb and this;

Ephesians 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

Read or hear God’s word every day for at least a half an hour. Pray. Expect something to happen. It will. No more will you have to be frustrated at your failure. Let God do the work.

As Dr. Ruckman has said, “either this Book will keep you from your sins, or your sins will keep you from this Book.”

No comments: