Monday, January 31, 2011

Reposting "Read It Through" by Amos Wells, a poem I like

READ IT THROUGH
by Amos Wells

I supposed I knew the Bible,
reading piecemeal, hit or miss,
Now a bit of John or Matthew,
Now a snatch of Genesis;
Certain chapters of Isaiah
certain Psalms (the twenty-third),
Twelfth of Romans, First of Proverbs,
yet I thought I knew the word.
But I found a thorough reading
was a different thing to do,
And the way was unfamiliar
when I read the Bible through

You who like to play at Bible,
Dip and dabble here and there
Just before you kneel a-weary,
and yawn out a hurried prayer;
You who treat the (crown of writing)
as you treat no other book -
Just a paragraph disjointed,
Just a crude, impatient look -
Try a worthier procedure,
try a broad and steady view,
You will kneel in very rapture
When You Read The Bible Through.

No comments: