Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bible reading and sin

I've had some real breakthroughs lately with Bible reading and sin in my life. God has amazingly managed to take certain sins and simply make them unappetizing to me. I have struggled with many of these things my whole life but never so intensely as after I became a Christian.
It's impossible for me to understand the mechanism by which He does this. I can only refer you to certain verses like the following.
John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Apparently, it has something to do with "assuaging" my sins much like the waters of Noah's flood were assuaged to reveal the dry land in degrees. Perhaps, if everything were removed at first and at once, in certain cases, I would be open for worse things.
Genesis8:1 And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged;
Job 16:6 Though I speak, my grief is not asswaged: and though I forbear, what am I eased?With the Canaanites being a type of our sins, as William Tyndale pointed out, notice this statement.
Deuteronomy 7:22 And the LORD thy God will put out those nations before thee by little and little: thou mayest not consume them at once, lest the beasts of the field increase upon thee.
I was delivered from alcohol at once and even though I tried to go back to it, it simply had no taste for me. However, there were other sins that must have had such a grip on my flesh that it was too dangerous to remove them at one time.
Luke 11:24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out. 25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished. 26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.So, if you are struggling with something that seems to have a death grip on you, continue to pray for God's deliverance through Jesus Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit, but be persistent. It may, like the tide, come in and go out, assuaging, until it is gone.
Don't get me wrong, I am still struggling with some very wicked things but am watching how He removes them.
Submit yourself to the words of God daily. Read, read, read, and memorize as much as you can.

No comments: